FREE Pit Bull/Chihuahua Spay/Neuter Application
March 2020 Statement regarding COVID-19
Given the current pandemic, in an effort to reduce resource use, workload, and the potential for human exposure, shelters and spay neuter clinics have been advised by the Surgeon General to limit or discontinue "non-essential" or "elective" surgical procedures. Additionally, the AVMA made a statement that veterinary practices can and should defer elective procedures to preserve medical supplies when circumstances call for that but also must be able to provide medically necessary care.
For the purpose of these recommendations a non-emergency ("elective" or "non-essential") surgical procedure is one that is not urgently required in order to maintain the health of the patient. Most spays and neuters are non-emergency procedures.
Conservation of PPE is not the only reason to defer non-emergency surgeries. Either currently or in the next several weeks it is expected that shelters will experience:
- Reduced staffing in shelters as staff and volunteers become ill or need to quarantine. If the number of animals in shelters does not also decrease dramatically a crisis of care may develop with insufficient capacity and supplies to care for the animals in the shelter.
- Continued need for veterinary care for animals with reduced veterinary capacity
- Scarcity of medical equipment and supplies
- Need to limit contact between people in an effort to reduce human exposure
The Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe has suspended community spay/neuter surgeries at the shelter clinic. We will still be accepting applications for the voucher program but will not be able to book appointments until mid-April, or to be determined as information is presented in the upcoming weeks.
This FREE spay/neuter program is for dogs labeled as Pit Bulls or Chihuahuas, as their identifying or primary breed. Determining whether your dog is a Pit Bull/Chihuahua will be at the sole discretion of our staff. Documentation of breed history can be provided, but the final decision will be made by staff. (If your dog's primary breed would not be labeled Pit Bull or Chihuahua in a shelter setting, DNA testing that reveals less than 50% Pitbull or Chihuahua ancestry will not qualify for this program). Eligible owners of all other breeds can apply for our affordable Community Discount Spay/Neuter program.
- Your application must be filled out in its entirety in order to be considered.
- This program is available to permanent residents of Truckee, Eastern El Dorado County, Sierra County, Incline Village, Eastern Placer County, Eastern Nevada County and South Lake Tahoe from Glenbrook to Meyers.
- All surgeries are carried out at the shelter clinic in Truckee; vouchers are not provided for other Veterinary Hospitals for the Pitbull/Chihuahua program.
Surgery intakes are at 8:00AM and are scheduled by appointment only.
- Dogs must be current on required vaccinations at least 10-14 days prior to surgery (DAPP, Bordetella, Rabies).
- Free Microchipping is available with spay/neuter appointment.
Please fill in ALL information below: